top of page
Many small champagne bubbles flowing in glass..jpg

Frequently Asked Questions

Are you insured?

We have a 2 million dollar liquor liability and general liability insurance to cover our our services. All bartenders are TIPS certified and hold their ServSafe food permits. We have a valid Connecticut liquor license, so we bring the alcohol to you. We can provide proof to your venue and we can list them as additionally insured on our policy if needed. 

Are your bartenders certified?

Yes! All of our bartenders have TIPS certification as well as ServSafe food safety certification. 

What are your policies and/or restrictions for alcohol?

1) No shots. Hard liquor served on the rocks that you are planning to shoot is also considered a shot. 

2) We check IDs. Serving minors is illegal in Connecticut and is taken very seriously by law.

3) Anyone who is visibly intoxicated will be cut off. We do not enjoy doing this, but it is necessary when needed. The safety of our guests is our number one priority and we strive to maintain a high level of decorum at every event. 

What are your space and/or parking requirements?

For our mobile bar, we need enough space for a 20-foot trailer. For our pop-up bar, we only need an 8-foot space. Our mobile bar can be rolled anywhere and moved with ease. 

Do you need access to power?

No. We have a super quiet generator that powers our whole operation. If you do not want a generator running at your event, we will need access to an outlet. 

Do you serve food?

Yes! We are a catering company as well and offer a wide variety of food options. We also provide hydrations stations, coffee, tea and dessert. 

What is your payment and refund policy?

We require a 50% deposit to confirm your reservation. You'll receive a full refund if you cancel more than 60 days prior to your event date and 50% of your deposit if you cancel more than 30 days in advance of your event. Your deposit will be forfeited if you cancel less than 30 days prior to your event. 

bottom of page